Thursday, July 01, 2004

Me and food

OK, I guess this picture expresses it well enough. I have decided to diet. I'm 53 and according to whoever's chart you use miltary or civilian I am about 52 - 55 pounds overweight. That's about twice what Lauren weighs and I know what a pain it is to carry one of her around. Or it would be like carrying around 8 gallons of milk.

So, I've started a change with a long term plan of losing a pound a week. I don't remember how I found it, but I found John Walker's "Hacker's Diet". I like this guy...he's not selling an image, dream or time share to happiness. He doesn't have t-shirts, low carb bars or vitamin water. John Walker is not related to John Walker Lindh, either. I can't even find a picture of the guy on the internet and to top it all off he has nothing to do with anything or body making money from fat people. If you're interested he's the guy that first developed AutoCAD and looks at fat from the perspective of an engineer and manager. His idea is to calorie count as you put in and let out the average 13.3 pounds of weight we process each day. We don't eat that much, but we breathe it and assimilate it. The food and beverage part can be rationally (thought and portioned) brought into the body at about 500 calories less than what we need to maintain equilibrium. (no gain no loss) At this rate in one week (7 days x 500 calories) you can lose one pound of fat. (one pound of fat equals 3500 calories)
I bought a scale...and I am going to return it or get another. It is a nice large dial analog style and I know now I need to get a digital. The thing's scale reading marks are simply too small even with the large dial face. I understand the digitals read to the half pound. This will be more easy to keep my day to day readings. Daily readings are usually a crummy way to watch your weight, but with Johyn Walker's diet he gives you excel macros that can smooth your bouncing weights to a real calm averaged line.

No comments: